Join us on a gay journey through the glorious South Island of New Zealand! This 13 day trip for LGBTQ travellers immerses you in some of our most remote wilderness, without forsaking comfort. As on all of our trips, you'll spend time with our trusted local partners, seeing New Zealand as the locals do. You’ll chat with the skipper while cruising the Marlborough Sounds, revel in the enthusiasm of your glowworm cave expert, hike amidst glaciers, learn about our farming heritage on a private farm, and taste the fruits of labour on a vineyard.
Experience the serene Marlborough Sounds, the beaches of Abel Tasman National Park, the wild West Coast, and the stunning natural beauty of our mountains, lakes, and wilderness. This trip is designed to mix relaxation, gourmet food and wine, and many opportunities for soft and thrilling adventure, all in the company of other fun loving LGBTQ travellers. To experience all the outdoor opportunities on offer, a moderate level of fitness is advised for this trip.
Combine this tour with the North Island Kiwi Culture Gay Tour for a 21 day true New Zealand experience!
Day 1 -
Welcome to New Zealand!
• Arrive at the top of the South Island and sample our world famous Sauvignon Blanc on a vineyard tour.
• Cruise the serene Marlborough Sounds to your remote lodging for the next two nights set in this wilderness environment.
• Gather with your travel mates for a welcome dinner.
Day 2 -
• Explore the area by foot, bike, in a kayak, or on a paddleboard, or just relax and soak in the water views.
* Play a round of golf at a local course, enjoying the farm animals and wildlife who join in
* Hike a section of one of our ‘Great Walks’, the Queen Charlotte Track
* Take a scenic flight of the Marlborough Sounds, viewing this stunning area from the air
Day 3 -
• Stop for a quick dip in the Pelorus River, where Hobbits escaped evil Orcs!
• Travel through the fertile region of Nelson/Tasman, surrounded by vineyards, apple orchards and olive groves.
• Browse the galleries and shops of quaint Mapua Wharf, enjoying lunch at one of the cafes or restaurants.
• Relax in your ocean view accommodation overlooking Kaiteriteri beach.
Day 4 -
• Golden sand beaches and turquoise waters surround you today.
• Choose between a full day kayaking, or hiking, or a mix of both, along this glorious coastline.
• A water taxi ride to a beach for the day is also an option for those wishing to just chill!
Day 5 -
• Travel through the Buller Gorge, enjoying limestone cliffs and lush flora, alongside the Buller River.
• Primeval rain forest, stalagmites and stalactites, and luminous glowworms await you in the Nile River Caves. Choose to walk these caves, or don a wetsuit and float through in an inner tube!
• Chat with locals in a small village pub tonight.
Day 6 -
• Enjoy watching the pounding seas of the rugged West Coast on one of the best coastal drives in the world.
• Admire the unique and bizarre shapes and blowholes of the Pancake Rocks.
• Hike up to one of New Zealand’s most stunning waterfalls.
• Settle into your remote high country Sheep Station (farm) lodging for the night.
Day 7 -
• Explore the unusual enormous limestone rocks at Castle Hill.
• Wander around a quaint foodie town trying the local cheeses, ice cream, and chutneys.
• Journey towards the spectacular Southern Alps and Mt. Cook, enjoying turquoise lake views along the way.
• Marvel at the stars this evening, appreciating your lodging in the middle of an international dark sky reserve.
Day 8 -
• Join your local guide for an easy 3 hour hike along the Hooker Valley Trail, surrounded by mountain and glacier views, experiencing New Zealand’s epic swing bridges.
• Relax in your lakeside lodging, wondering how the scenery just keeps getting better!
* Heli-hike on the Tasman Glacier
Day 9 -
• Enjoy a free day in this funky lakeside town. Wander the shops discovering quality New Zealand made products, or choose some adventure.
* Fly over glaciers into the iconic Milford Sound
* Explore the region’s vineyards on a wine tour
* Paraglide your afternoon away
Day 10 -
• Learn from a local about our farming heritage in an exclusive visit to a private high country station (large farm/ranch) watching how sheep are shorn.
* Ride in a jet boat into a wilderness environment
* Fly by helicopter and land on a glacier
Day 11 -
• Cross the highest main road in New Zealand on your way to Queenstown.
• Wander through the quaint historic gold mining town of Arrowtown, filled with cafes, restaurants, galleries, and boutique shops.
• Relax in your vineyard accommodation for the evening.
* Bike a riverside and vineyard trail, watching bungee jumpers along the way
Day 12 -
• Visit vibrant Queenstown today.
• Breathe in the splendid views from the gondola above Queenstown.
• Enjoy our final dinner with new friends on the lakeshore and share stories and favourite memories of the trip.
Day 13 -
• Bid farewell to new friends.
• Start planning your next trip to the land of the long white cloud, Aotearoa.